Skip to main content

Housing Support and Homelessness

Commonly known as: homelessness, tenancy, accommodation, eviction, moving house

Housing Support and Homelessness

Explore housing support and homelessness by scrolling through the page or simply select an option from the drop down if you wish to jump to the relevant section of the page:

Having a place to call ‘home’ is important for our physical and mental wellbeing

A home is more than safety, shelter and warmth. It’s where we sleep, eat, connect with our loved ones, relax and have fun. However, there may be times when we struggle to have that ‘home’ for many reasons, and you may be homeless or having housing problems. There is a range of support available if you are having housing difficulties and information about how to get in touch with services that will be able to help you.

Housing Support services are provided in each local authority; they aim to help people live as independently as possible.  Some examples of the types of support available include:

  • Help in managing accommodation or finding more suitable accommodation
  • Help to prevent homelessness
  • Advice and support to claim benefits and manage debts
  • Advice and help with budgeting and managing bills
  • Advice on issues such as aids and adaptations, and safety and security in the home
  • Help to make contact with relevant agencies, such as doctors or social workers
  • Support to access education, employment, voluntary work and training
  • Signposting to other services and agencies

Gwent Housing Support

Gwent Housing Support offers support services for people affected by:

  •  Homelessness
  • Domestic abuse
  •  Learning disabilities
  • Mental health issues
  • Young People 16 – 24 with support needs (including those leaving care)
  • Alcohol or drug dependency
  • Single parents and vulnerable families


Tenancy and rent payment struggles

If you are struggling to pay your rent or have had any change in circumstances make sure to let your landlord know, most housing associations will have specialist support teams who can help you to stay in your home.


Your council’s responsibilities

If you are homeless or at risk of homelessness, your local council has a duty under the Housing (Wales) Act 2014 to look into your situation to find out how they may be able to help and to advise what options you have available to resolve your housing situation.

Below are links to each of the council websites which have contact details for how to get in touch with housing services in each local authority:



Last updated: 18.08.2022

Is this page helpful?

Please give us your feedback

Knowing what you found helpful or unhelpful is really important to us. If you have some time, please let us know what you found useful and if there is anything we could improve. Thank you.

Homelessness and mental health

Here you will find resources to help you understand your situation, how it can affect your mental and physical wellbeing and what you can do to help.

Type Title Related to… Provider
Websites Websites

Housing options for people leaving the Armed Forces, veterans and their families

Homelessness, Veterans mind
Websites Websites

How can housing affect mental health? – Mind

Homelessness, Mental Health mind
Video Video

Getting help from the council if you are homeless in Wales – Shelter Cymru

Homelessness mind
Websites Websites

Help with finding accommodation, local authority services for homeless people

Homelessness mind
Video Video

Katie’s Story: A short video explaining what it is like to receive support and what help you may receive

Homelessness mind
Video Video

Eviction – Shelter Cymru

Homelessness mind
Showing 6 out of 7 results View all

Related videos

Katie’s Story: A short video explaining what it is like to receive support and what help you may receive

Getting help from the council if you are homeless in Wales – Shelter Cymru

Eviction – Shelter Cymru

Showing 3 results

Housing support in Gwent

To speak to someone about your situation or to make a referral contact your Local Authority team on the telephone numbers or emails below. All services are free. To see our full list of helplines, visit our helplines page.

Shelter Cymru

Shelter Cymru – Free, confidential and independent advice

Urgent helpline operates between 9.30am – 4.00pm Monday to Friday. If you’d prefer alternative ways to contact them, please have a look on their website.

Visit Shelter Cymru website ➝
Citizens Advice Wales Logo

Citizens Advice Wales

Citizens Advice Cymru has walk-in centres you can visit as well as online services. They offer advice and support on financial matters such as disputes, benefits, employment, debt and money, housing and many more.

Visit Citizens Advice website ➝
Showing 2 out of 8 results View all

Is this page helpful?